Born on August 28, 1986 in Camberwell, England, Florence Mary Leontine Welch, better known as Florence Welch, is the lead singer of the English indie rock band Florence and the Machine. Raised in a family of accomplished writers and academics, Welch received her education at the Camberwell College of Arts before dropping out to pursue a musical career.Welch’s big break came in December 2006. Drunk at the Soho Revue Bar in London, Welch cornered host Mairead Nash—of the DJ duo Queens of Noize—in the bathroom and sang to her Etta James’s “Something’s Got a Hold on Me.” A week later, the Queens of Noize invited Welch back to open for their club night.In the midst of writing music for Florence and the Machine’s new album in early 2010, Welch was offered the chance to travel to Los Angeles to work with producers and writers of American pop music. Although she was tempted at first, Welch changes her mind, saying, “No. No. No. No. No! I can’t do that. This is too weird. I can’t just suddenly leave behind everything that made Lungs,” according to a September 2011 Billboard.com article.
Welch returned to top form with Florence and the Machine’s third album, How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful, which was released in June 2015. In advance of the record’s debut, she had to overcome some challenges. Welch broke her foot while performing at the Coachella musical festival that April. But she didn’t let that injury slow her down. That May, Welch wowed audiences as the musical guest on Saturday Night Live. She later earned a Grammy nomination for “What Kind of Man” for best rock song.
Height: 5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
Weight: 58 kg or 128 pounds
Shoe size: 8
Dress size: 2
Bra size: 32A
Measurements: 33-24-34 in or 84-61-86 cm
Hair Color: Brunette
Eye Color: Green
Name: Florence Leontine Mary Welch
Nickname: Flo, Flossy
Date of Birth: August 28, 1986
Place of Birth: Camberwell, London, England
Place of Residence: London, England
Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Education: Camberwell College of Arts
- Stuart Hammond (2008-2011)
- James Nesbitt (2012)
Awards and Honors: –
Hobbies and Interests: Music
Favorite Color: White
Favorite Food: Swedish fish
Favorite Music: Bonnie Tyler
Favorite Perfume: Tsi-la Orangic
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Favorite Sports: Baseball
Favorite Movie: The Cockettes (2002)
- Florence’s parents divorced in 1990, but later remarried.
- Her grandmother committed suicide when Florence was 14 years old. She was an art historian who had suffered from bipolar illness.
- Florence’s paternal grandmother encouraged her to pursue a career in performing arts and singing.
- She sang at her paternal and maternal grandmothers deaths.
- Through her mother, she has an American passport. Her mom is an American immigrant from New York.
- She has been diagnosed with dyslexia and dyspraxia.
- Because she was shy, she used to drink before giving any performance on-stage. This continued to happen for 4 years.
- Once Florence accidentally set her hotel room on fire after she spent a musical wild night with Kanye West and Lykke Li. Due to this, she damaged her phone, dress and teeth.
- Her one of the albums was inspired from singer Taylor Swift.
- At Coachella Music Festival 2015, Florence broke her foot when she was jumping off the stage.
- In 2012, she appeared in the music video of Calvin Harris‘ song “Sweet Nothing.”
- Welch started songwriting at 18 along with Isabella Summers who was Welch’s younger sister’s babysitter at that time. Later, Isabella joined Welch in the band Florence and the Machine.
- She got her first big gig in the bathroom of a bar when she was drunk. She approached DJ Mairead Nash and by impressing him, booked a big Christmas party performance.
- Previously, she used to go by the name “Florence Robot Was a Machine” as a solo artist. She also used several band names such as “Toxic Cockroaches,” “Florence Robot/Isa Machine” and others. But finally, she settled at (as well all know) Florence + the Machine.
- In 2011, she inspired Gucci’s entire collection.
- Dancing in supermarkets is her favorite thing.
- It may sound weird, but Florence’s mother does not listen to music as she has no interest in it.
- Actress Blake Lively is Florence’s best friend and best fan ever.
- Bowie and Jane Birkin are her style icons.
- Britney Spears Height and Weight Stats
- Claire Forlani Height and Weight Stats
- Ali Larter Height and Weight Stats