Tyra Lynne Banks is an American model, television personality, talk show host, producer, author, actress, singer and business woman. She began her career as a model at age 15 and rose to fame, becoming the first African American woman on the covers of GQ and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, on which she appeared twice. She is one of the original Victoria’s Secret Angels. By the early 2000s, Banks was one of the top-earning models in the world. Subsequently she moved onto television and film, known for her roles as Eve in Disney channel’s Life-Size and Zoe in the box office hit Coyote Ugly. Banks first appeared on television on the show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and has since been featured in small roles in romantic film Love & Basketball and horror film Halloween: Resurrection and has appeared in numerous television shows, including Gossip Girl and Glee.
In 2003, Banks created and became the host of the UPN/The CW long-running reality television show America’s Next Top Model. Banks was also the co-creator of True Beauty, and was the host of her own talk show, The Tyra Banks Show, which aired on The CW for five seasons and won two Daytime Emmy award for Outstanding Talk Show Informative. She co-hosted the talk show FABLife.
In 2010, she published a young adult novel titled Modelland, based on her life as a model which topped The New York Times Best Seller list in 2011. Banks is one of four African Americans and seven women to have repeatedly ranked among the world’s most influential people by TIME magazine.
Name: Tyra Lynne Banks
Nickname: Ty, Big Buddy, Lady T L B
Date of Birth: December 04, 1973
Place of Birth: Inglewood, CA
Place of Residence: Los Angeles, CA
Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Education: Harvard Business School
Height: 5’10” / 178 cm
Weight: 141 lbs / 64 kg
Shoe size: 9 / 41 (EU)
Dress size: 6 (US)
Bra size: 34C
Measurements: 37-24-36 in / 94-61-91.5 cm
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel
- Craig Taylor (1990)
- John Singleton (1993-1996)
- Seal (1996)
- Chris Webber (2001-2004)
- Giancarlo Marcaccini (2005-2006)
- John Utendahl (2007-2011)
- Keith Carlos (2014)
Awards and Honors:
- 2007 – Astra Award
- Daytime Emmy (two times)
- Teen Choice Award (two times)
Hobbies and Interests:Skiing, rollerblading and painting
Favorite Color: Yellow
Favorite Food: Pizza
Favorite Music: Jay-Z
Favorite Perfume: Demeter PMU
Favorite Book: Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
Favorite Sports: Basketball
Favorite Movie: Pulp Fiction
Favorite TV Show: Friends
- She has appeared on the cover page of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue two times in the past.
- Her parents divorced, when she was only 6 and her brother was 11.
- She started modeling at 15, when she was still going to school in Los Angeles.
- Initially, she was rejected 6 times by various modeling agencies; but, was finally signed by L.A. Models.
- She launched her own website www.typef.com in March 2011, which is co-owned by Demand Media.
- She has a dog named Little TJ.
- Oprah Winfrey is her role model.
- Tyra is VH1’s “Supermodel of the Year” for the year 1997.
- She faced the situation of “Ugly duckling” (what she calls herself) in her childhood. This is because she lost 30 pounds (13.6 kg) of weight in three months and also added three inches to her height.
- Banks had been ranked multiple times by TIME magazine in their “Most Influential People List”. She has become one of the four African Americans to have received this status.
- Kirstie Alley Height and Weight Stats
- Halle Berry Height and Weight Stats
- Lady Gaga Height and Weight Stats