John Goodman has never been the picture of health and fitness but the world renowned actor and former Roseanne beau has made an incredible change with this health and fitness the last year.
Believe it or not at one-point John Goodman weighed close to 400 lbs.! It was a life changing trip to the doctor’s office and some motivation from a close friend who lost almost 150 lbs. that changed his life and perspective on what matters most to him.
John loves life – and he no longer wanted his food obsession to risk taking it from him at an early age. He also wants to be healthy and energetic for his family and grand children.
In the last year John Goodman has lost an incredible 100 lbs. and says he has the energy levels he had twenty years ago!
How did John make this incredible change in such a short period of time? We are going to dive into the John Goodman weight loss story in this article.
If you have struggled for years to lose weight and need some inspiration and clever Hollywood “tricks” to strip off stubborn body fat – make sure you take a careful read as we are going to tell you exactly what John Goodman did with his workouts and nutrition to become a weight loss superstar.
John Goodman Diet Plan
John Goodman’s fame and fortune has been both a blessing and a curse. It has allowed him to travel the world and wine and dine at some of the best restaurants in the world – and that has caused him some massive weight issues. John Goodman says that he used to take pleasure in finding the best steakhouses around the world and dining on huge cuts of red meat, potatoes, garlic and butter soaked veggies and alcohol.
What big changes did John Goodman make that helped him lose the most weight?
Two HUGE changes helped John Goodman strip off 100 lbs. in the last year!
- Instead of Feasting on Red Meat and Carbs out to eat he switched to Fresh Fish and Veggies
- John Goodman started cooking more for himself and learned to love it!
Instead of dining on fatty pieces of cholesterol raising red meat – he would have fresh sushi sashimi or sushi wrapped in cucumber along with steamed pieces of salmon, ahi tuna, cod, sea bass, and other high quality cuts of fresh fish.
Instead of being a red meat aficionado John became a sushi expert and would locate the best sushi joints around the world! This helped lower his blood sugar levels and helped for him to supercharge his weight loss results.
John’s trainer explains that fat is 9 calories per gram and spiking your insulin late at night is going to shut off your fat burning hormones – so instead of eating fat laden red meat and carbs like potatoes – switching your late night meal to fresh fish and low carb veggies makes a huge difference in your blood sugar levels, and helps you to keep your insulin low so you can lose weight efficiently.
Along with this John started to enjoy the process of cooking for himself and became a bit of a low carbohydrate chef during his incredible 100 lb. weight loss journey!
Here are a few of John’s favorite recipes that he would routinely cook up for himself for lunch, dinner, snacks, and even desserts!
John’s favorite breakfast recipe to satisfy his hunger and sweet tooth: Baked Apple Oatmeal!
- 1/3 cup raw, oatmeal (uncooked)
- ½ Apple
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- Spray Coconut Oil
- Set oven to 350F.
- Spray a cast iron skillet with coconut oil and set it on medium-high heat.
- Chop up half of the apple and add to the skillet once it is hot. Saute the apple until the edges turn brown, which should take about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir with a spatula to ensure the apple does not stick to the skillet.
- While the apple is cooking, mix together all of the ingredients in a bowl. If you find the batter is too thick and dry, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of almond milk.
- Add the sautéed apples to the mixture and stir. Then add the entire mixture back to the skillet.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until it is golden brown. Be careful not to overcook as it can quickly dry out.
- Serve and enjoy immediately.
John’s favorite Lunch Recipe to satisfy his craving for Alfredo:
Parmesan Cream crusted Chicken
- 4 oz. boneless skinless chicken
- 1.5 Tbsp. Greek yogurt
- 1.5 Tbsp. shaved Parmesan cheese
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Fresh Garlic
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place chicken breast on baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt & pep.
- Lather yogurt on top of chicken
- Sprinkle chicken with shaved Parmesan cheese, sticking pieces to yogurt.
- Cook for 20-22 minutes, until completely cooked through.
John’s favorite healthy dessert recipe to satisfy his intense sweet tooth:
Protein Banana Split
- 1 medium banana
- ½ Cup no sugar added fat free Greek yoghurt
- ½ scoop whey protein powder
- 2 strawberries
- ¼ cup wild blueberries
- Chopped walnuts, Chia Seeds, Hemp Seeds
How to Prepare:
- Slice a banana “vertical” and place in a large bowl
- Mix ½ Cup yoghurt with ½ scoop protein powder (vanilla works best) and set on top of Banana
- Chop up 2 strawberries and add in ¼ cup wild blueberries
- Add chopped nuts and seeds and sprinkle cinnamon
John Goodman Workout Plan
John Goodman has been working out with a celebrity trainer the past year, and this has helped him clean up his diet and lose an incredible 100 lbs. of total weight!
Fitness expert Mackie Shilstone has helped Goodman keep the weight off for good with a few amazing lifestyle changes that have changed John’s perspective on health and fitness.
John has been exercising 6 times per week and taking a whopping 10,000 steps per day! John has also been no stranger to the elliptical machine and treadmill. He even has one in his living room so he can maintain his workout motivation and get caught up on his favorite TV shows.
For John, losing weight was as easy as making a few lifestyle changes, dialing in his external motivation, and finding hacks such as doing his treadmill work in front of the TV to stay on track!
Here is the blueprint for John Goodman’s weight loss workout plan:
- He would walk about 10,000 steps per day. He would do this by walking on a treadmill while watching TV, getting outside on nice days and walking in the park, or trying to go for frequent walks on the set of his movies and TV shows any off day he had.
- John would go through a bodyweight training routine in the evening 3 times per week that worked to burn a ton of calories and tone his entire body. This was the routine recommended to him by his trainer.
Here is a sneak peak at the John Goodman Full body calorie blaster that helped him lose 100 lbs. in about one year.
These are three of the exercises that were a staple of his routine that he would do 3-4 times per week in the evening before dinner.
Exercise One: Wall Sits
Description: john would perform wall sits until failure. By the end of the 1st year John was doing wall sits for about 2 straight minutes. This was a huge improvement over the 20 seconds he could do starting out.
Exercise Two: Push Ups with isometric Back holds
Description: This was pure weight loss wizardry from his trainer and allowed John to work out two of his major upper body muscle groups in a superset.
John would perform a set of pushups and work his major chest muscle – and then would perform an isometric back hold until failure to work his back muscles. This allowed him to burn more calories in less time.
Exercise Three: Burpees
Description: Burpees are a full body exercise that burns a ton of calories – and its no wonder why John’s trainer wanted to include them in his program. Burpees work out your lower body, upper body, and core and help you boost your resting metabolism.
John would perform a variety of exercises besides these three – but each workout would start with these 3 exercises that worked his largest muscle groups which correlate to maximum calorie burning.