Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll is a Colombian singer, songwriter, dancer, record producer, choreographer, and model. Widely known with many honorific nicknames as “The Queen Of Latin Pop”, “The Undisputed Queen Of Dance”, “The Crossover Queen”, “The Queen Of Social Media”, “The Queen Of Facebook” and “The Queen Of World Cup”. Born and raised in Barranquilla, she began performing in school, demonstrating Latin, Arabic, and rock and roll influences and belly dancing abilities. Shakira released her first studio albums, Magia and Peligro, in the early 1990s, failing to attain commercial success; however, she rose to prominence in Latin America with her major-label debut, Pies Descalzos, and her fourth album, Dónde Están los Ladrones? .
Shakira entered the English-language market with her fifth album, Laundry Service. Its lead single, “Whenever, Wherever”, became the best-selling single of 2002. Her success was solidified with her sixth and seventh albums Fijación Oral, Vol. 1 and Oral Fixation, Vol. 2, the latter of which spawned the best-selling song of the 21st century, “Hips Don’t Lie”. Shakira’s eighth and ninth albums, She Wolf and Sale el Sol, received critical praise but suffered from limited promotion due to her strained relationship with label Epic Records. Her official song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)”, became the biggest-selling World Cup song of all time. With over 950 million views, its music video is the ninth most-watched video on YouTube. Since 2013, Shakira has served as a coach on the American version of The Voice, having appeared in two of its seven seasons—fourth and sixth. Her tenth album, Shakira, is preceded by its lead single, “Can’t Remember to Forget You”.
Shakira has won 407 awards, including five MTV Video Music Awards, two Grammy Awards, ten Latin Grammy Awards, seven Billboard Music Awards, 28 Billboard Latin Music Awards and has been Golden Globe-nominated. She has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and sold more than 200 million records worldwide, including 75 million albums and 70 million physical singles and more than 60 million digital tracks worldwide, making her the best selling Latin artist of all time, She carries out well-known philanthropic activities through charity work and benefit concerts, notably her Pies Descalzos Foundation, her performance at the “Clinton Global Initiative” created by former U.S. President Bill Clinton, and her invitation to the Oval Office by President Barack Obama in February 2010 to discuss early childhood development. As of 2014, she is listed as the 58th most powerful woman in the world by Forbes.As of July 2014, Shakira has become the first person to reach 100 million followers on Facebook.
Name: Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll
Date of Birth: February 02, 1977
Place of Birth: Barranquilla, Colombia
Place of Residence:Barcelona, Spain
Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Education: La Ensenanza School
Height: 5’2″ / 157 cm
Weight: 117 lbs / 53 kg
Shoe size: 7 / 37.5 (EU)
Dress size: 4 (US)
Bra size: 32B
Measurements: 34-24-37 in / 87-61-94 cm
Hair Color: Dyed Blonde
Eye Color: Dark Brown
- Antonio de la Rúa (2000-2011)
- Gerard Pique (2011-Present)
Children: Milan, Sasha
Awards and Honors:
- Grammy (several times)
- American Music Award (several times)
- MTV Award (several times)
- Golden Globe Nomination
- Billboard Music Award Ž(several times)
- Maxim’s Hot 100
Hobbies and Interests:Horse riding, painting, reading
Favorite Color: Black
Favorite Food: Pancakes with Jam
Favorite Music: U2, The Police
Favorite Perfume: Issey Miyake Perfumes
Favorite Book: The Prophet by Khalil Gibran
Favorite Sports: Skateboarding and Frisbee
Favorite Movie: Love Actually
Favorite TV Show: Scrubs
- Shakira (feminine of Shakir) is in Arabic which means, grateful or full of grace.
- Mattel has made many Barbie Dolls based on Shakira’s look.
- John Lennon’s music greatly influenced her.
- She has 3 dogs, namely, Coquito, Chan and Gordita.
- She likes history very much and learns the history and language of the countries, she visits.
- She speaks Spanish, fluent English and Portuguese and some Italian, French, Catalan and Arabic.
- She fired her beauty staff after deciding that she had become too obsessed with her appearance.
- She is a cousin of model and 2005–2006 Miss Colombia, Valerie Domínguez.
- She began her own beauty line “S by Shakira” with parent company Puig in 2010.
- She is 10 years older than Pique.
- She doesn’t like alcohol or coffee.