Danai Jekesai Gurira is a Zimbabwean-American actress and playwright. She is best known for her role as Michonne on the AMC drama series The Walking Dead. Gurira was born in Grinnell, Iowa to Josephine Gurira, a university librarian mother, and Roger Gurira, a chemistry professor father. Gurira lived in Grinnell until December 1983, when she was 5 years old, and the family moved back to Harare, Zimbabwe after Zimbabwe gained independence. Gurira starred in the 2007 film The Visitor, for which she won Method Fest Independent Film Festival Award for Best Supporting Actress. She has appeared in the films Ghost Town, 3 Backyards, My Soul to Take, and Restless City, as well the television shows Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Life on Mars, and Law & Order. From 2010 to 2011, she appeared in the HBO drama series Treme.
In 2013, Gurira played a lead role in director Andrew Dosunmu’s independent drama film Mother of George, which premiered at 2013 Sundance Film Festival. Gurira received critical acclaim for her performance as a Nigerian woman struggling to live in the United States. In June 2013, Gurira won the Jean-Claude Gahd Dam award at the 2013 Guys Choice Awards.
Name: Danai Jekesai Gurira
Date of Birth: February 14, 1978
Place of Birth: Grinnell, Iowa, United States
Place of Residence: Los Angeles
Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Education: Macalester College, Tisch School of the Arts
Height: 5′ 7″ / 1.70 m
Weight: 119 lbs / 54 kg
Shoe size: 8 (US)
Dress size: 2
Bra size: 32B
Measurements: 32-24-34/81-61-86 cm
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Dark Brown
Relationships: Recently, her The Walking Dead co-star Norman Reedus (Norman Reedus Height and Weight Stats) posted a photo of him kissing her, which gave rise to speculations that they have an affair. However, the photo turned out to be a portion of the show. So, Gurira seems to be focusing more on her career rather than on the dating arena.
Awards and Honors:
- 2016-Image Award, Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, Nominated
- 2014- Hollywood Award, Best Actress, Nominated
- 2014-Black Reel, Outstanding Actress, Motion Picture, Won
- 2014- Chlotrudis Award, Best Actress, Nominated
- 2013 WFCC Award, Best Actress, Nominated
- 2008-BSFC Award, Best Ensemble Cast, 2nd place
- 2008-Best Supporting Actress, Won
Hobbies and Interests: Swimming
Favorite Color: Red
Favorite Food: Lamb and goat-cheese burgers.
Favorite Music: Justin Timberlake and Tasha Cobbs
Favorite Movie: Hotel Rwanda
Favorite TV Show: Breaking Bad, Orange Is the New Black, House of Cards, Modern Family, and Veep.
Favorite Sport: Tennis
- She doesn’t watch horror movies because she don’t enjoy being scared.
- She can speak four languages: French, Shona, basic Xhosa, and English.
- Danai’s first pet was a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix named Ace.
- She loved to chase cars.
- Her new rescue dog is just a 15-pound gangsta.
- Before starring in The Walking Dead, Gurira’s plays were produced and staged in theaters across the country.
- She also wrote the 2012 play The Convert and Familiar, which will be staged in February 2016 in New York.
- In 2011, Gurira co-founded Almasi Arts to do that and empower “African males and females to subjectively tell their story and to have it told skillfully on a global level”.
- At 2008 she appeared at the Global Green Sustainable Design Awards to read a letter written by a New Orleans native displaced by Hurricane Katrina.
- She has taught playwriting and acting in Liberia, Zimbabwe, and South Africa.
- She regularly spends time in New York City and maintains an active lifestyle to keep physically fit.
- Sophie Turner Height and Weight Stats
- Jorgie Porter Height and Weight Stats
- Olivia Holt Height and Weight Stats